Hong Kong Trail Sec. 5 & 6
Time: 3-4 hours (Medium pace. We had a few rest stops. Can do chin ups/leg ups/press ups at Windy Gap.)
Starting Point (2 options):
- Cab to Parkview in Tai Tam. Get off at the start of the Hong Kong trail right before Parkview. You’ll see the huge brown sign saying “Tai Tam Country Park” on your left as you go uphill.
- Bus 6 or 66 from Exchange Square towards Stanley Plaza (Ma Hang) and get off at Wong Nai Chung Reservoir Park; Wong Nai Chung Gap Road. From there get on Hong Kong Trail Sec. 5/Tai Tam Reservoir Road, with Wong Nai Chung Reservoir to your right.
- From the starting point (Tai Tam Country Park Entrance), follow Hong Kong Trail Sec. 5/Wilson Trail Sec. 2 uphill. There will be arrows to point the way towards Jardine’s Lookout.
- Arrive at Jardine’s Lookout. Enjoy the view. We should have brought a picnic with us.
- Keep going, this time towards Mount Butler: You will get views of the quarry, which Quarry Bay is named after, on your left. On your right you will be treated to views of the Tai Tam Reservoirs and, further out, Hong Kong’s southside beaches. Keep on the Hong Kong Trail
- Arrive at Mount Butler.
- Go down Jacob’s Ladder to Windy Gap. Toilets here.
- After Windy Gap, the sun started to set and it began to get cold. I’m sure the views of the dams would have been beautiful, but it was too late to really appreciate their beauty: We saw graceful aqueducts and cobblestone bridges along the Tai Tam Waterworks Heritage Trail, which we vowed to revisit. Next time we’ll start the other way ’round.
- End of hike: Tai Tam Road, where we tried to buy water off a vending machine, and instead of just 1 bottle, we got 8! :)) From there we were able to catch a minibus to Chai Wan MTR. But you can also catch one to Stanley if you want to have dinner there. We were desperate, though, and took the first thing we could get.